Thursday, December 18, 2008

It's Thursday and It's Overcast

Continuing our weather-related boring titles...

Another night of fun and getting to bed too late, and not getting everything crossed off the list. I have an excuse, though. I added "Dinner with Cindy" to the list because she suggested it when I asked about borrowing her sewing machine. I thought I wanted to zig-zag something, rather than apply fabric paint. But when I grabbed it to run over to Cyn's... well... it really didn't look like something that should be zig-zagged. Cindy concurred. And fed me a really awesome beef stew. And showed me the Christmas present that she's working on for me - a phenomenal silk veil with a beaded edge. Did I mention I'm in a medieval recreation group? It's up near the top of the page... Well, this veil is going to look so absolutely fabulous when it's done. It's just beautiful. And I may need to make a new dress to wear with it. Or maybe I could just finish one that's in progress? It was kind of nice to be "given" a present that had to be taken back to be finished...

In progress. That seems to be the theme of my life right now. So many things are simply "in progress" but not moving along to "finished" nearly as quickly as they should. I have so many medieval garments that got to the point where they would be more complicated than I thought I could handle at the time. So, I put them down. Then I put them in a bag. Then I put the bag in a box. Then I put the box in the closet (well, if I was feeling really motivated, I'd put the box in the closet). The "then...then.." process would take 4 or 5 weeks. And at each step, I thought I'd be pulling the item out and working on it. It's not just Christmas, it's everything.

At least with the Christmas projects, I am working on them. So, they truly are in progress. But progress is slow. I don't seem to be able to do more than 2 hours of active wood working each night before I feel the "I'm tired enough to make a big mistake" take over my body. Which is truly a good time to stop...

I have a question. Why is it that when you have to hammer nails into both the front and back of something, that when you are nailing away, the only place you miss the nail with the hammer is on the front (the more important, has-to-look-pretty side)? No kidding. I missed the same nail three times last night. On the front of the table apron. Three. And did I miss any one of the six nails I had to hammer on the back? Nope. How many of the six nails on the front did I successfully pound in and sink without making a single mar on the face of the apron? Two. Which means new dings that have to be sanded out. And I just couldn't face that... So, the table is not ready to stain yet. But, fear not! I did the math and I could actually do both coats of stain and both cots of rub-on polyurethane in one day. And that day would be Saturday. So, I'm not going to kill myself trying to get past that wood working fatigue point. If I can get two good hours tonight and tomorrow night, I'll still be mostly on track.

I thought I was way off track with the socks. But then I finished the gussets on the Earl Blue and measured them. Holy Cannolis!! I'm almost 4" down the length of a sock that needs to be 11.5" in length. That's one third of the way!! Which means that I'm not nearly as far behind on these socks as I thought I was. Which is not to say that I'm as far along as I want to be... But, I'll take any bit of positive I can right now. And 4.5" to the toe is just marvelously positive when I was expecting more like 6.5"...

As I mentioned yesterday, precisely one item migrated to the Done list: The sweatshirt. And it looks fabulous. And I'm glad I decided I'd do the paint rather than zig-zag. And none of the cats walked across it while it was drying.

Tomorrow, I hope to be able to cross two things off, but it's more likely that it'll just be one.

I'm okay with that...

No comments: